Friday, January 9, 2009

Escuela y comida

Hey everyone! So I started school yesterday, and I placed in an advanced level for the intensive language course. There are only 9 of us in the class because all of us are split up by level. I would say I'm about middle of the road with experience and everything. The class is perfect for me. I can understand everything that's going on and we are talking pretty much the whole class which is what I need to practice. Until January 29, I will be taking this class from 9-1 monday through friday, and then we have no school until February 9. 3 of us are planning a trip to Italy for those ten days. Everything is going well so far. I love so many things here - everything is so beautiful and much cleaner...but I miss a lot of things too like using as much water as I want and driving in a car and all of you of course! The food is still really good. We have very big lunches and what they call "smaller" dinners which are really like normal for us! We had spaghetti one night, GRILLED CHEESE the next (with some type of white cheese - not american of course lol but still good), and today we had a type of chicken soup and the traditional spanish tortilla. Lunch yesterday was like homeade chinese food. We had white rice and something like sweet and sour chicken with pineapple and peppers and stuff - it was sooo good. For lunch today, I tried fish - a lot of it!! They made a type of bread rice, with a bunch of sides to mix in. There was pico de gallo, peppers, chorizo (which i dont really like - it's spicy sausage), bacalao (cod!) and these little fish that had weird names. They were fully in tact with eyes and everything. We had to peel the sides off making sure we didn't get any of the tiny bones in the meat. I liked it more than Katie did, but they definitely tasted very fishy. The cod was better because it was in squares and fried. I am proud of myself for trying it, but I am still dreading the day they serve a full pig. There is literally one sitting on the kitchen counter. It's been there since we got here. They told us that as long as we try everything, they will not be offended if we don't like it. I try to eat as much as I can to make my Senora happy, but the servings are gigantic!! I don't know why everyone says we eat such large servings in the U.S. - I think that only applies to McDonalds haha. Well it is about 11:00 at night now, and I am going to meet some friends for tapas - even though I really don't think I can eat anything else! Miss you all <3

4 comments:

  1. Good jokes ashley, "mcdonalds" - hilarious, "very fishy" - you are sooooo funnny!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Ash! The pictures are great! It looks like a wonderful place. Glad you did so well on your placement test, see a piece of cake! No worries! Anyway, please send me an e-mail with your mailing address in Granada exactly how it should look. I'm giving the relatives your blog info so they can keep in touch with you. Have a great weekend! Luv, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Im so jealous its crazy! It looks amazing. mom is driving me crazy! Every time she sees a word she doesnt no she wants me to translate! Thanks for the advice but im still worried. Ive been offered like every honors class available and i dont no which ones to turn down : ( Take millions of pictures of Italy. Stay safe
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~Kara :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. P.S> the other day in Spanish I tried some Three Kings Day Bread and it was not that great I dont no how ur eating fish! blah! lol v nbn vcv jlkjkjkjytyryftrdtdjgojiwewdf6r5hg -Livvie sends her love

    ReplyDelete