Sunday, February 22, 2009

Cadiz

Hey!!! So yesterday about 11 of us went to Cadiz for Carnival. It was quite an experience!!! Carnival is a big celebration in Spain and other countries that is similar to our Halloween but for adults and like 12 million times bigger. There are people dressed up in extravangant costumes EVERYWHERE (literally) and people come from all over Spain to go to Cadiz. It lasts all week long, and there are parades and music contests and lots of fun!!! Cadiz is near Portugal on the southern coast of Spain, and we left Granada at noon yesterday and arrived in Cadiz around 7:00 PM. There were 500 people going with the program we were with (which included just the bus ride for 20 euros! lol) We were dropped off right by the Atlantic Ocean and we watched the sunset on the beach - absolutely BEAUTIFUL! Then the nightlong party began!! We basically just walked around the city watching live bands, eating baked potatoes, and having a good time :) Some people slept on the beach and others (like myself) enjoyed Cadiz for a full 12 hours before reboarding the bus at 7:00 AM. This festival was so unlike anything else I have ever experienced. People are just so laid back and there to have a good time. I didn't see one police officer until we were walking back to the bus, nor were they needed! It was really amazing to be a part of something so different than what I am used to. You guys should totally check out our sweet masks in the pictures! haha we were probably the most underdressed people there!! And today, Katie's parents arrived in Granada!! So even though I am exhausted, I went out to dinner with them and talked about their travel and our life here in Spain :) It is soooo nice to see people from home!! Mr. Szafranski tipped the waiter almost 6 euros and the guy was so happy that he shook all of our hands (which they dont do here haha) and gave us a round of shots! (Waiters/waitresses are paid salaries here and a 20 cent tip if anything is sufficient in Granada) Then they went back to their hotel to try and adjust to the time change so they can enjoy the city for a couple of days before heading to Poland. I myself am headed to Morocco on Wednesday night, so my next post will probably be next Sunday when I get home! Miss you guys!

3 comments:

  1. Hey girl!
    I'm sorry you're itchy and sick :( I think a great solution would be to come to Ireland where our pharmacies speak English and stock up on meds! I'm so happy you experienced Cadiz and I can't wait to hear what you think of Morocco! Advice: bring absolutely as little as possible, good walking shoes, stay with a group ALWAYS, and be respectful when taking pictures of people in their everyday life. O, and don't get traded for camels!! (seriously though, be careful). Have fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No goodbye from spain :( I can't wait till i'm there and part of a blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey! Sounds like you're having a great time :) I read your Italy blogs and I was comparing too.. ha. And definitely, the Vatican discount was sweet. I'll probably put up my Cinque Terre and Florence blogs soon. The more I blog though, the more I want to save the stories for home when I can tell them better! I feel like I can't do them justice.

    As of now I plan to be in Spain from about April 10-18. Will you be there? Maybe we could meet up, or I may swing by Granada. Any plans to come to England? Either comment me back on my blog or send me a facebook message/post :)

    ReplyDelete