Saturday, January 24, 2009
Cordoba!
So last night we went to a tango show at school and then out for tapas and chocolate con churros...mmmmm! And today, we went to Cordoba!! The bus ride was a little under 3 hours long. We left at 8 am and we just got back around 8 pm. The weather was amazing!! We saw the ancient ruins of Madinat al-Zahra which was built in the 10th century!! (It was mostly reconstructed using the remains they found after the city was destroyed in a revolution) We also saw an old Mosque that had a Christian sanctuary built inside of it when the Muslim rule ended and the Christians conquered the land. We walked through a festival where people were dressed up in Medieval attire, and kids played gladiator-like games. Then we saw a very old Sinagogue which is important because when Los Reyes Catolicos (Isabel and Ferdinand) came to Granada, they destroyed every Sinagogue and Mosque in order to ensure that Christianity was the only religion. So the one that survived in Cordoba holds a lot of historical importance. I will post all of my pictures so you can get a better look! Yesterday, Katie and I did a little bit of exploring...or actually just stumbled upon something new which happens every day! :) and we went to a supermarket to buy snacks for the bus ride. There was no candy/snack isle in this supermarket!! haha we ended up getting some chips, animal crackers and gourmet chocolate bars, but the difference in this supermarket compared to Jewel was crazy!! After every meal, we eat fruit for dessert...if we eat fruit before dinner, we may spoil it!? Crazy right!! I really like it!!! It's making me eat a little healthier....kind of ;)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Ashley~
ReplyDeleteI love reading your blogs--you are a fantastic writer and I do lol
Miss you so much:(
Love, Mom Nagle
Hey Ash! I've been keeping up with your blog too :) Sorry I'm just getting back to you on the comment you left a while back. I'm still angry about my luggage lock - it was supposed to be TSA approved and they should have a key. Durr! How's homesickness going for you? After the first two days I've really been fine. I think it was just the initial lack of sleep and realization that I can't go home if something goes wrong. But I'm really loving it here. I've met a lot of really nice brits, and it's just fun to be somewhere else and do new things. Your trip to Italy sounds amazing, can't wait to hear about it! Some of us are trying to plan Italy for February when we have a "reading week" which means we're off. International Friends is a smallish travel agency thing here that caters mostly to Americans studying in the UK. We planned our trip to Scotland through them. That's this weekend and I'm so pumped! Except it's going to be FREEZING. A few of us are also going to Paris for the weekend of March 6th. I'm actually going to be meeting up with Trent Ford and Val Melrose (they're studying in Sweden), so that should be pretty cool. Except I speak no French!
ReplyDeleteI go home April 18th. Classes end April 10th, and then I was planning on spending time in Spain..maybe the whole week? I would love to meet up!
So how is the speaking Spanish going? Is it hard, or are you getting used to it? I can't imagine...it's gotta be completely new and crazy!
The nightlife here is good. Not as late as by you! We went out to a pub last night and played some pool and drank a little, but it closes at midnight so we were back early. I've been to a number of pubs, and I really like them - especially the ones where you can just relax and talk and hang out. We also went to a nightclub (full of college students). It was fun, but not really my scene. I enjoyed it and would go back, but I like something a little more low key.