Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Mi Casa (My House)

Wow my house! It is gorgeous and the food is wonderful!!! :) We took the 5 hour train ride from Madrid to Granada this morning and when we got here we were all very nervous. We paired off by roommate and took taxis to our homes. Granada is more like Madrid than I was expecting. It is still very city like...just smaller scale. So all of the apartments are above storefronts. We had no idea how to get up to the apartment and we couldn't find our building number either. I didn't want to keep walking around with all of my luggage so I decided to ask for help. I asked a woman who was using her key to go up to her apartment if she could tell me where Pavaneras 1 was, and there we were talking to our new "sister." We had no idea of course because she just said this is it! And we walked up together very confused. When she led us into her apartment, we finally realized that we were living with this woman and it was very awkward. Spanish is even different here than it was in Madrid! It's going to take some getting used to. But anyways, we came in and met her sister, but the Senora was not home....we still have not met her. Apparently she loves to shop and she has been taking advantage of the Rebajas (huge sale that started today and lasts until Februrary) :) I think we are going to get along. We have a little dog named Nicotina and we call her Tina. The sisters are I think in their 30s and they are very nice. They served us lunch which was soup, a spanish tortilla made of eggs, potatoes and onions, and a tomato and onion salad. This was around 3:30 and then one of the sisters (we still dont know their names) walked us to the post office where we were meeting as a group to walk to school so we know where it is. We are the only ones who live on the same street as the school. We have about a 3 minute walk while others have up to a half hour!! Tomorrow I will take my placement test at 9:00 AM. Katie and I share a room which is small, but furnished with antique wood furniture. The apartment is very large and decorated beautifully. We have internet here, which is very rare, and I am almost positive that hosting students is more of a hobby than a business for this family. I feel so lucky and excited!!

5 comments:

  1. I am sooo happy for you, Ashley! It sounds like a nice home and internet, too! that's great! Send pics as soon as you can.
    Miss you.
    Love, 'Mom' Nagle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey ash! i think ur sleeping rite now so GOOD MORNING when u read this thats awesome that uve got internet. Ull do fine on the test so dont worry. I have a test coming up too, to determine wat high skool classes to take : ( supposedly the high skool mite offer me honors geometry and honors algebra two i dont no wat to do should i accept the offer? nvm dont worry about me have fun! dont kill the dog lol jkjkjk luv u

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ashley, So glad to here you like your new casa!
    It sounds perfect for you girls. Very close to school, great food, nice people, antique furniture, (I'm jealous)& internet access what more could you ask for? I'm so happy for you. Don't worry about the placement test you'll do just fine. We miss you, Tori is driving me nuts! Luv, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey ashley!

    hope you're having fun so far! i leave saturday night for england...ahhhh!

    ReplyDelete
  5. *Kara - Don't stress about the tests and you should take whatever classes you feel you can handle, and I love Tina!
    *I hope everyone can see the pics they took forever to load
    *Mom - tell Tori I miss her too. And let all the aunts know about this site!! You can just copy the url and send it to them or write it down or something...or you can give me their emails and I will send it to them.
    *Love you all!

    ReplyDelete